- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, divided
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar – packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5/8 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Ice cream (optional)
- Make the eggs and butter "room temperature". You obvs could do this this by leaving them out for a couple of hours beforehand, but in that amount of time you could be eating a piece of cake instead. Fill a medium sized bowl with warm water and let the eggs sit in there for 5 minutes. In the meantime, microwave the butter for 5 seconds on each side until soft but not melted.
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. In a 10" cast iron skillet, melt the 3/4 stick of butter on medium heat. Move it off the burner, then use a paper towel to make sure the sides of the skillet are coated in butter. Then evenly sprinkle the light brown sugar, cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, honey, and sliced almonds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt. I like to use a chopstick to level the ingredients out, but do whatever works for you!
- In a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer and large bowl), cream together the remaining 1 stick of butter and white sugar for 2 minutes on medium speed, then add the eggs one by one after each is fully incorporated. Mix the dry ingredients and sour cream on low speed, adding a bit of each alternately. Then add the vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the skillet, spread it out evenly, then bake for 55-60 minutes. Poke the center with a toothpick to test if it's done – it should come out clean with no crumbs on it. Run a knife around the edge of the cake, then carefully flip it onto a platter or big plate. Leave the skillet on top for another 5 minutes before removing, then let the cake cool down for at least 20 minutes before slicing into it. Eat the cake on its own, or better yet add a big ass scoop of ice cream.
- 10" Cast Iron Skillet
- Large Mixing Bowl